Friday, January 3, 2014

Fangirl


Fangirl

Rainbow Rowell, 2013

Ever since they were young, Cath and her twin sister Wren have been fans of Simon Snow (a Harry Potter-type fantasy series). Cath is even one of the most popular writers of Simon Snow fan fiction on the internet. Now that they're going off to college, Wren wants to separate herself from Cath and the life they used to lead. But Cath isn't ready to leave it all behind. 

I loved this book. I saw a lot of my college self in Cath, which I think helped, but the writing was great, the characters were great, and there was just enough drama to make it interesting, while managing to keep it realistic and not over-the-top. 

I really liked that the author chose to use a fictional series to base her fan fiction storyline on, but kept it similar enough to Harry Potter that it was easy to relate to. The world-wide phenomenon that is Harry Potter really fit with what we were supposed to believe Simon Snow was. And while I'm familiar with fan fiction, I'm not a reader of it myself, but I still found myself really enjoying Cath's stories. 

I really didn't want to put this one down. I'm looking forward to reading more of Rowell's books in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment