Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Shanghai Girls


Shanghai Girls

Lisa See, 2009


In Shanghai in 1937, Pearl and May Chin, "beautiful girls" who grace advertisements throughout the city, live a life of near royalty. Until the day their father tells them that he has gambled away their fortune and has paid his debts by selling them as brides to two Chinese brothers living in Los Angeles. As the sisters make their ways to America to start a new life, they also hide a terrible secret from their families - a secret that could tear them all apart.

I love historical fiction. It's like stepping into new worlds, but plausible ones, unlike the dystopias or fantasy worlds presented by science fiction and fantasy (which I also do love). From Shanghai in the early 1900s to Los Angeles Chinatown during WWII, I loved reading about these worlds. Plus, I really enjoy reading about Chinese culture (aside from foot-binding, which makes my skin crawl, but which was thankfully not included in this story). 

I liked the drama between Pearl and May (although I sometimes wanted to punch May in the face - she could be so shallow at times). I was actually going to complain that I didn't love the ending, but then I realized that there is actually a second book - Dreams of Joy - so no complaints. Really good book about Chinese history and culture. Glad I read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment