Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Golem and the Jinni



The Golem and the Jinni

Helene Wecker, 2013


New York: 1899. Chava is a golem - a woman made of clay brought to life by a disgraced rabbi - who arrives alone in New York when her master/husband dies on the boat over. Ahmad is a jinni - a creature made of fire, bound a thousand years ago to a copper flask and accidentally released by a Manhattan tinsmith. Together these two creatures of myth try to adapt to a world unlike any other, and find themselves facing a challenge that they might not survive. 

I've figured out the easiest way to win me over - combine my two favorite genres of Magical Fantasy and Historical Fiction. I can't even comprehend how the author came up with this idea - writing a novel with a golem and a jinni as its main characters, and making them seem real - but she did it amazingly well. And it's her first novel! I will definitely be following this author's work. 

But even if fantasy isn't really your thing, this is a wonderful immigrant story, as well as a story about love and friendship and believing in yourself. One of the best books I've read in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment