Friday, January 31, 2014

Glass


Glass (Crank #2)

Ellen Hopkins, 2007


In the sequel to Crank, Kristina is determined to stay off the crystal meth and get her life back on track. She has a baby now, after all. But when an opportunity for one more hit comes up, she takes it, thinking that she can avoid the problems she had before and be the one in control this time. But Kristina soon discovers that she's never going to be the one in control - the crystal controls her. 

This book made me sad. But in a good way. 

Told in verse, Ellen Hopkins has such a powerful way of writing Kristina's story. I was never much of a fan of poetry or stories told in verse before I picked up Crank on the recommendation of a fellow reader, and I'm glad I gave it a chance. I don't think the stories would have quite the same effect written in prose. 

This was a really well-written book, beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. But where Crank was sad with a hopefulness to it, Glass will leave you with a less-than-hopeful outlook for Kristina's future. It's very honest, and honesty isn't always uplifting. Still a really great read, though, and I'll definitely be picking up the final book in the trilogy, just to see how it all turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment