Monday, January 6, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling


The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1)

Robert Galbraith (pseudonym of J.K. Rowling), 2013


Cormoran Strike isn't exactly what you would call a successful private investigator. He's good at what he does, but with one current client and bill collectors calling, he's desperate for a case. So when the wealthy brother of a supermodel who supposedly killed herself comes knocking on his door, Strike can't exactly pass up the opportunity. The brother is paying him to prove that the supermodel's death wasn't a suicide. While Strike initially believes what everyone else does - that she either killed herself or fell accidentally - his investigation eventually begins to lead him in a slightly more sinister direction. 

I really liked this book. I know a lot of people seem to dislike Rowling's adult novels, but I thought that both this one and The Casual Vacancy were quite well-written. 

The thing I found most interesting while reading this book is that Strike - our lead, our hero - starts out very unlikable. At least for me. He's gruff, not very good-looking, and drinks too much. But as the story progressed, I found him growing on me as a character. Also, I thought I had the "whodunnit" figured out, but I'll admit that I was completely wrong. Never saw the ending coming. A fun murder mystery with a unique lead, and I am certainly looking forward to continuing with this series once more books are published.


No comments:

Post a Comment