Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Never Have Your Dog Stuffed


Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned

Alan Alda, 2005


A collection of stories starting from Alda's childhood in the burlesque world to his present-day life.

I thought that this was a good biography. I've always been a big fan of M*A*S*H, but aside from seeing him on that show and in the occasional movie, I never really knew much about him and, honestly, pictured that he would be in person like Hawkeye, his M*A*S*H character. Apparently I was very wrong about this. Alda is a down to earth, somewhat shy individual, who started out with an unorthodox childhood but who turned into a pretty well-rounded adult. It actually left me liking him more than I did when I started. An enjoyable read.

Side note: I listened to the audiobook, and the one negative I have is that I really wish that Alda had read the book himself. I'm familiar enough with what his voice sounds like that, at times, it actually took me out of the story a little bit hearing someone else tell it. Made it feel a little more like fiction than biography. 

No comments:

Post a Comment