Sunday, December 1, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird


To Kill a Mockingbird

Harper Lee, 1960


Growing up in small town Alabama in 1935, Jean Louise "Scout" Finch is growing up in a time when racism and intolerance are a way of life. So when her father, Atticus, is tasked with defending a black man accused of raping a white girl, everything that Scout understands about life will be put to the test.

I had read this book before, back in school about fifteen years ago, and I had been meaning to re-read it for a few years now. (I've also seen the movie a few times - great film - but it had been a few years). So, while I remembered the big plot points, there was a lot about this book that I didn't remember.

I am so glad that I re-read this. In fact, I think it's going to get added to my exclusive list of books to re-read every few years. I absolutely loved it. Even though the story takes place in the 1930s, and racism isn't as prevalent now as it used to be, thankfully, the book doesn't feel dated. And the characters are amazing; I think Atticus and Scout Finch are two of the best written and endearing characters in literature, period. Just an all-around excellent book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment