Saturday, December 7, 2013

I Am Malala


I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban

Malala Yousafzai, 2013


The true story of Malala Yousafzai, a girl from Pakistan who spoke out about the right for everyone to get an education and who, at the age of fifteen, was shot and almost killed by the Taliban.

This was a great book. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the writing style, but in the end I really liked that it was written in Malala's voice. I could almost hear her speaking through the pages. She could have chosen to use a ghost writer to make the writing sound more "adult", but I don't think that the story would have ended up having the same power if she had. It was fascinating to hear what her life was like. She's an extraordinary girl. I hope that young girls all over the world look to Malala as a role model for what can be accomplished if you only stand up for what you believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment