Friday, April 5, 2013

The Likeness

The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad #2)

Tana French, 2008


In the Woods, the first book in this series, featured detective Rob Ryan, with detective Cassie Maddox in the supporting role. Here in The Likeness, we pick up the story six months after those events, with Cassie Maddox in the lead. In this case, Cassie is called to a murder scene where a woman has been stabbed to death - a woman who looks almost exactly like Cassie herself. In order to find the killer, Cassie is asked to go undercover, posing as the girl who was killed. But does she really want to go back to the undercover life? And if she does, can she keep herself from getting drawn in too deep?

I'm really enjoying this series. While I think I liked In the Woods better, this was a great murder mystery, with intriguing characters and a lot of drama and suspense. My only complaint is that Cassie, at times, is an idiot. I realize her motivation for keeping some of the secrets that she did, but she's a cop - she should have known better. Still a great story, though. I also found that the characters and their situation reminded me a lot of The Secret History, another book I love. 

Great addition to the series, and I'm looking forward to reading the next one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment