Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Messenger


Messenger (The Giver Quartet #3)

Lois Lowry, 2004


In a dystopian world, Village is set up as a utopian haven for misfits and those shunned from other communities. But things are happening in Village. People are turning against the open welcome and vote to close the borders to any new refugees. The forest surrounding Village tends to be hostile to anyone who travels it more than once, except for Matt (first seen in Gathering Blue), who has a talent for traveling the inhospitable terrain over and over. Because of this, Matt is sent to the outlying communities to relay the message of Village's closing, and also to try to convince Kira - the daughter of one of Village's leaders - to return with him. But when the forest turns hostile against Matt, can he get himself and Kira back to Village safely? And can anyone help what is happening to the people of Village?

Okay, I didn't remember this book at all. I'm so glad that I read it again. 

I'm also really glad that I didn't read this book when I was young and first discovered (and fell in love with) The Giver - this book didn't actually come out until 2004, more than ten years later. Not only because it completely shatters my ideas my original idea about what happened at the end of The Giver (to tell you would spoil that book, so I won't say... let's just say that I thought the ending was sadder than it actually was), but because this book is really, really dark. Granted, the previous two books weren't exactly light-hearted, but this one is dark even compared to them. Still, this is an excellent, amazing story that anyone who loves The Giver should read. But dark. Just a warning.

No comments:

Post a Comment