Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Gathering Blue


Gathering Blue (The Giver Quartet #2)

Lois Lowry, 2000


In this sequel to The Giver, we are introduced to another dystopian community, that shuns the weak to the point of leaving the sick or injured to die in a field. Kira, physically disabled, was allowed to live because her mother was important to the community. But after her mother dies, Kira is left with one choice - to use her special gift with a needle and thread to repair the storyteller's cloak. She is taught the knowledge of color dying, but the community has long since lost the ability to create blue threads. When her only friend disappears and returns later with a sample of the mysterious blue, Kira sets off on quest that will end up teaching her more than just how to find the missing color blue.

It had been so long since I had read this book, I really didn't remember anything about it. I can't say that it's on par with the brilliance of The Giver, but that is one of my favorite books of all time...

I really enjoyed this book, though. Kira is a really well-written character, and I thought that her development through the book was really interesting to follow. I also adored the character of Matt, who starts out just kind of fun in this book, but develops in the next (review to follow). I am so glad I picked this one up again. Not a perfect story, but a really good transition between The Giver and The Messenger

No comments:

Post a Comment