Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Museum of Extraordinary Things


The Museum of Extraordinary Things

Alice Hoffman, 2014


The Museum of Extraordinary Things is a collection of freaks and oddities on Coney Island in New York during the early 1900s. The curator's daughter, Coralie, an exceptional swimmer, is even on display as a mermaid. But with Dreamland - a huge complex of freaks, animals, rides and performers - being renovated nearby, the curator of the museum needs to find - or create - something that will once again bring in the crowds. Meanwhile, Eddie Cohen - a Russian immigrant who has abandoned his Orthodox Jewish community to become a photographer specializing in capturing criminals on film - finds himself photographing the devastating Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and winds up entangled in the mystery of one girl's disappearance. When Coralie and Eddie meet, they are immediately drawn to each other. But between Coralie's father and the criminal element surrounding Eddie, whether they can finally find happiness together remains to be seen.

I really enjoyed this book. It was my first by Alice Hoffman, but I know that I will certainly seek out some of her other books after this one. I thought that she wrote some amazingly complex and interesting characters, and I loved the way that she incorporated true events into her fictional storyline. 

When I started this book, I admit that I thought it was going to be a little more about the Museum itself, and the "freaks" it employed, but it ended up that most of them were only mentioned in passing. Only a few characters from the Museum had a real role in the story, but those few that did were very well-written and fascinating for who, rather than what, they were. 

Really, my only complaint (and it is a small one) is how Coralie and Mr. Morris interpreted Jane Eyre. Given that the romance between Jane and Rochester is one of my all-time favorites, their sympathy for the madwoman and dislike of Rochester was hard for me to swallow. I see why those characters would have sympathized with her, but really, stop trying to ruin Jane Eyre for me, Alice Hoffman. (Like I said, not a real complaint, just a part of the book that was hard for me to get my head around.)

Overall, a great read. Glad I picked it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment