Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Me Since You



Me Since You

Laura Wiess, 2014


Warning: Here be spoilers.

Rowan is just a normal, sixteen-year-old girl - a little more sheltered than her best friend, thanks to her father being a police officer, but still normal. When she decides to skip school with her friend and gets caught by her father, it sets off a series of events that culminates in the suicide of Rowan's father. Now Rowan has to find a way to survive as her world falls apart around her.

I first want to say that while I'm glad I read this book, I'm glad that I'm done reading this book. It was intense.

The book was very well-written. The characters were very easy to relate to and understand, which made it all the more difficult to watch - and feel - Rowan go through what she went through. I thought that Rowan and her mother were perfectly developed and very realistically written. As far as I could tell, having never been through it myself, this book seemed to me like a very realistic portrayal of what a suicide does to the surviving family and friends. 

While I would recommend this book to most people, I would most recommend it to anyone who knows someone who is dealing with a suicide in the family, more than I would recommend it to someone who is going through it. This book gives great insight into what the survivors are feeling - the depression, guilt, anger, and so much more - and what a good, supportive friend can do for them. 

A great book that packs a real emotional punch. Definitely recommended.

Thanks to the publisher for an advanced copy through NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment