Sunday, March 2, 2014

Medium Raw



Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook

Anthony Bourdain, 2010


Bourdain talks about how the restaurant business has changed since the days when he wrote his first book, Kitchen Confidential

First, a disclaimer: I have never read Kitchen Confidential. This is my first book by Bourdain, although I have seen his show, No Reservations, a few times.

I enjoy books about food and the restaurant business. I'm not really a "foodie", and I'm a barely passable cook, but I like the subject anyway. And while I'm not really a Food Network fan, I am a fan of the food-based shows on the Travel Channel, specifically Man vs. Food and Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. I have also seen Bourdain's show a few times, but in general he is a bit too bitter and a lot less fun than the other hosts that I enjoy watching. This comes through in his book as well. He's a good writer, and I found many parts of the book to be interesting and even amusing, but overall he is a little too rough around the edges for my liking. Worth reading, and I'll probably check out his other books, but I didn't love this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment