Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Maze Runner


The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner #1)

James Dashner, 2009


Thomas wakes up alone in a dark room, with no memory of how he got there, or even who he is. But when the doors above him open, he finds himself face to face with a large group of teenage boys, all lacking memories, and all trapped inside The Glade. For two years, boys have been brought to The Glade, forced to find a way to survive, and over time the boys have created a working society. During the day, the stone walls surrounding The Glade open, revealing a maze that "Runners" investigate every day, hoping to find a way out. But when the walls close at night, being stuck in the maze means death. Always. But when a girl shows up the day after Thomas arrives, bearing a cryptic message, things start to change. And the Gladers realize that they have to find a way out of The Glade - before it's too late.

This was a fun book. I had wanted to read it for a while now, but moved it to the top of my list when I heard that there was going to be a movie coming out. I'm glad I did. This is an interesting take on the dystopia genre. There are only so many dystopian worlds that can be created in young adult literature before they all begin to seem stale, but this one had enough going for it that it kept me interested. Unique, but at the same time reminiscent of books like Divergent and Lord of the Flies. And the ending definitely left me wanting more. I'm looking forward to seeing where the author goes from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment