Friday, January 4, 2013

Insurgent

Insurgent (Divergent #2)

Veronica Roth, 2012


Okay, I promise, once I get caught up I'll start actually writing good summaries along with the reviews. 

The sequel to Divergent, I actually liked this one a little better than the first one, although the first one was more action-packed. I think I just liked the characters a little more in this one - a little more grown-up, although they still sometimes make stupid decisions, of course. I liked the way it all played out, and the cliffhanger is pretty intense. Very curious to see how this story is wrapped up.

Young Adult dystopian fiction has become a major player in the past two years or so, ever since The Hunger Games came onto the scenes, really. It's obviously been around a lot longer than that, but The Hunger Games seemed to bring the genre into the main stream. If you like the genre, I think you'll like this series. Like a lot of YA dystopian stories, the reasons for why society is the way it is isn't exactly clear, and this society clearly has a lot to explain as far as "how the hell did they come up with this system?", but once you accept the way society is and let yourself just go along for the ride, it ends up being quite the enjoyable ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment