Saturday, January 19, 2013

Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice

David Sedaris, 1997


I love David Sedaris. More than that, I love listening to David Sedaris read his own audiobooks. This collection of stories, however, was kind of hit or miss. I really enjoyed all of the true stories and found those really funny and/or interesting, but this is my first experience with his completely fictional stories, and those, while I did laugh a few times, I found in general to be a little more serious and, at times, downright depressing. The collection also included a few stories that I was already familiar with from Me Talk Pretty One Day, although these repeats included "Six to Eight Black Men", which is one of my favorites, so I can't really complain. 

As always, though, I recommend that if you're going to read Sedaris you should go with the audiobook. In this case, at the very least, to hear Sedaris sing Christmas carols in the style of Billie Holiday. Because it's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment