Thursday, August 1, 2013

Robopocalypse


Robopocalypse

Daniel H. Wilson, 2011


One day, in the not so distant future, one man brings a powerful artificial intelligence, named Archos, into being. But Archos is a little too powerful. One by one, technology - from domestic robots to military machines - gain intelligence, violent tendencies, and turn against their human masters. This is the story of how the Robot War began, and how humankind was able to unite and fight back in order to survive. 

I had slightly high expectations for this book. I didn't expect it to be the next sci-fi masterpiece or anything, but it had a cool concept and I had heard a decent review or two, so I hoped it would be good. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations in one big way.

The problem I had with this book wasn't the storyline - I actually thought that the idea behind the plot was really cool and the way the story played out was dramatic and plausible and interesting. My problem was that I just didn't find myself caring at all about the characters. I can't say exactly what it was - maybe it was the audiobook format, although I've never had this problem with audiobooks before - but I just didn't care about any of them. Something dramatic would happen, someone would die or just barely come out of a fight alive, and I wouldn't feel anything one way or the other. Obviously, this was a big issue for me. It's hard to like a story when you don't care about the characters. 

I know I'm not in the majority on this, so I'm not going to say that the book is bad. Like I said, the concept was really fun and dramatic. Hopefully you'll like the end result more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment