Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, 2008


After the success of her writings during World War II, Juliet Ashton is stuck on what to write about next, until she receives a letter from a stranger on the small island of Guernsey. Through correspondence, Juliet learns of the German Occupation of Guernsey, as well as the individuals who struggled through it by forming the oddly-named Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The society, originally founded almost by accident, brings many of the islanders together through their shared love and discovery of books. Juliet, as a writer and fellow book-lover, is drawn to these islanders and their extraordinary story.

I absolutely adored this book. I can't say enough good things about it, my only complaint being that I wish the book had been longer. This book is more about characters than anything, and I thought that Shaffer and Barrows came up with a number of characters that were endearing, complex, and real. I thought that Juliet was especially relatable and really enjoyed seeing things through her perspective. And, of course, Isola was one of the most wonderfully amusing people I have come across in a long time - I wish I knew her in real life. Part war story, part love story, part character piece, this book is one that I would highly recommend to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment